0 Properties
0 News
0 Articles
Add information from throughout the site by clicking the "Add" link.
Click "View Custom Report" to view your customized report. Email, print or create a PDF.

History

History of TexAmericas Center

The Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant and the Red River Army Depot are adjacent Army installations located on nearly 40,000 acres in the heart of Bowie County, Texas. The land was acquired in the late 1930's and developed in the early 1940's as a military ordnance depot, evolving later into two installations serving munitions production/storage and military vehicle maintenance missions.

Pursuant to the 1995 round of Base Realignment and Closure, certain missions at the Red River Army Depot were realigned. 765 acres of land and buildings were determined to be surplus to the government's needs. Bowie County officials stepped up to develop a comprehensive plan to acquire the property and develop it into a mixed use commercial park. County and city officials then sought special legislation to establish the Red River Redevelopment Authority. In 1998, the RRRA was born, with the express purpose of acquiring the surplus military property and converting it into a dynamic industrial community branded as "Red River Commerce Park." From 2000-2010 the Commerce Park became the home of over one dozen companies and employing over 1,000 people. Today this area is still the home of both Headquarters for the Depot and the Depot Commanding Officer.

As a result of the 2005 round of Base Realignment and Closure, the entire Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant closed and the munitions mission at Red River Army Depot was realigned. The action resulted in a real estate surplus of an additional 19,000 acres and several million square feet of buildings.

The Red River Redevelopment Authority took on the task of developing a Reuse Master Plan for the surplus property in 2007 and went about the business of acquiring portions of the site for implementation of a large scale commercial industrial complex. The Authority has rebranded all of its real estate assets under the banner of the TexAmericas Center in 2010.

TexAmericas Center is poised to be one of the largest industrial centers in the Americas. Located along the Interstate 30 corridor just west of Texarkana, Texas, TexAmericas Center offers abundant natural and human resources, diverse transportation options, and adaptable infrastructure in a pro- business community that understands, appreciates, and encourages growth.


TexAmericas Center is a political subdivision of the state of Texas. For more information about our agency and access to public documents, visit www.texamericascenter.org.